The Subtlety of Blazing Sunlight

 



Most of the commotion in my life came to a halt last Christmas, and I was left with silence, but this time I was ready for it. For many years, I was caught in a tumult of heightened emotions and physical activities-from living in big cities, getting divorced, being a single mother, caring for an ailing parent, dealing with bankruptcy, negotiating complex, personal relationships, moving from one part of the country to another, and going through the pandemic.

The first all-consuming silence I ever knew was in Portland, Maine, before gentrification, before the big city people came with their leaden soles and projects and moved the town into the future with luxury condominiums, boutiques, world-famous productions, renowned conductors…  They took the town’s silence, straight out of the Garden of Eve, and blasted it to the cosmos with drilling, pounding, and hammering from their construction projects.

When I first moved to Portland eight years ago, silence was everywhere: I never heard a sound from neighbors or pedestrians on the streets downtown, as if talking should only happen when necessary. Any noise was condemned and the slightest hint of it met with complaints, unapproving stares, or a yearning to move to the more the quiet and distant town of Buxton, as I heard mentioned by others on a few occasions.  Only the loud giddiness of summer tourists who came to drink beer, listen to live music, watch whales, lounge on beaches was begrudgingly tolerated.  Howling winter winds, falling snow, tapping spring rains, drifting fall leaves were the holiest and most natural of sights and sounds to be wholeheartedly welcomed and enjoyed as the seasons saw fit.

At first, the Maine silence rubbed me the wrong way, like a lover who stalked and insisted on my affections even though I adamantly refused him.   The inspiration for my move was straight out of my coffee book of lighthouses, a dream that quickly turned into a nightmare. 

All my life, I had lived in big cities--#New York City, Miami, Washington DC.   Negotiating my life and its changes between noisy distractions, led me to believe that navigating such challenges under such distractions was an act of courage. Then I got divorced, raised my children, and moved to Maine for a slower change of pace. At first, I expected more noise, friends, and block parties. But Maine served up silence instead, and I hated it. Yet Maine was like a loving, stern mother, feeding me a daily spoonful of healing even though, at first, I refused her.

In the silence, my deep-seated fears percolated to the surface- sleeping alone, being alone, being imperfect…, so I distracted myself by dating furiously, recruiting friends who never called me back, and hiking, even in bitter freezing weather. A year-long painful ear infection remanded me to the couch where I contemplated the meaning of my move to Portland with its subconscious pull to rise again from the ashes of my past like a phoenix resurrected after burning in its flames, like the city had done several times before rebuilding itself after several fires burned it down. The Latin word Resurgam, I will Rise Again, was written on Portland’s flag under the image of coiled but rising snake.

When I quieted down a bit, I learned about the city’s energetic tension of opposites where people aimed for perfection in creative projects yet were impatient and unforgiving of imperfections in themselves and others; they were rebels with or without a cause yet staunch protectors of their Mainard history and culture; hardened intellectuals yet yearning to experience the heart and soul of all things, fearful and judgmental of strangers yet committed to embracing the humanity in all. I was those things too, and its reminders jabbed, nicked, and stabbed me with the complexity of my truth in Portland’s house of mirrors. 

My most pressing fear was that Maine was mostly White and its White men and woman were, for the most part, all things—Evangelist, murderer, beggar, philanthropist, neighbor, friend….  After many years of living in the multicultural/ethnic hub of big cities, Maine’s Whiteness scared me and reminded me of my forgotten and deep-seated resentment of my White European father who married my Native Caribbean mother and daily held me accountable for my lack of Whiteness.  After many years of teaching American Literature as an understanding of social, political, historical, and judicial oppressions and limitations to achieving and/or living the American Dream, to mostly minority students, I’ve learned that regardless of my students' race, gender, or creed, their dreams are always big, pure, and possible, without acknowledgment to the hindrances of racism, prejudice, or social trauma, unless a deep-seated personal wounding experience of it had diminished their sense of self-worth, so that that same pain was reflected in their external worlds, and a heartfelt belief in attaining their dreams was harder to come by.

Everywhere I went in Maine, I ran into a reminder of my long-ago deceased, White father, pleading for forgiveness, compassion, nonjudgment, and a freedom from the past, always ringing, reverberating, reminding me to let it go with meditation, mantra, prayer, and silence. Silence, I learned, was the gateway to penetrating and healing my darkest hurts, and such darkness was as rich and fertile as the light; in Maine, I had to make a 24/7-hour decision which way to go-soar like a seagull or dive deeper into the unfathomable darkness of a Stephen King novel--exhausting yet therapeutic. It is no wonder that many years ago I dreamt of moving to Maine, when I did not know why my soul yearned for it.  When I left Maine for California, I was healed.

This last Christmas, in #California, silence came for me again.  During the last several months of the year my mother passed away, I traveled to Miami to celebrate an early, quiet Christmas with my adult children, and I caught Covid with three days of high fevers and severe headaches, and two weeks of fatigue.   After dealing with a whirlwind of events, my life came to halt, just like life in a small town in Northen California, where most of its 7,000 Humboldt State University students went home for the holidays, and the rest of its 7,000 residents settled into a quiet holiday season.  Even busses went on a Sunday schedule, and no longer drove to my part of town.

At first, I resented the town’s slowness and silence, but quickly remembered the value of solitude and stillness. Yet the silence in Maine, with its powerful, deeply penetrating hues triggered by changing seasons, was different than that in Northern California, where on most days the sun blazed its rainbow light while the ground temperatures ranged from a cool 35 to 55 degrees Fahrenheit. This time, I had to face my allegiance to daily distractions and inabilities to get things done

I returned to the drawing board of my to-do list, the list with seven items I could never complete in Maine because I preferred to talk to friends on the phone, or watch movies, or nap, or stroll around town, or drink tea...  Now, those friends had drifted into new lives, my children were grown and living their own lives, and no one from the nursing home called to update me on my mother’s condition. The soft, insistent sunlight falling on the cathedral of redwoods outside my windows was a constant, daily guide back to my list, but first I had to admit that I preferred cutting the hours from the hands of time and throwing them away in the garbage as a way of sabotaging my days and subconsciously proving I was not worthy enough to claim my time. 

Living in an apartment complex with mostly students at the university reminded me about the vitality of dreaming big and daily, even though from spying their messy apartments, beer bottles strewn all over their floors, and holiday ornaments left forevermore on their doorsteps, I’ve recalled from my own youth, that most students did not yet have the wisdom, maturity, experience, or focus to pursue their made-to-order dreams because all dreams and causes were for them worthy and enticing enough to be pursued..  But I was now ready to pursue the dreams of my heartfelt and destined convictions.  

This time, I looked brazenly at what I needed to accomplish daily- online work, meditating, perfecting my Spanish, researching a new book, reading, exercising/hiking in the Redwood Forest outside my doorstep, stargazing, so I constantly reworked the hours and organization of my tasks. Then I looked at hidden patterns that sabotaged my hours, like taking too long breaks between tasks, or eating or drinking too many foods, like dark chocolate or black tea, that caused insomnia, sleepless nights, and an inability to wake up timely and start my disciplined day once again.  I’m still at it, but every day I get closer to completing more tasks on my list, while the sun outside asks more transparency of me and permission to allow its light to see right through me.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment